Thursday, May 2, 2013

Avocado Bacon Deviled Eggs

 
 
Okay, so I came across this delightful little recipe via Instragram.    I saw a picture posted, but could not find the recipe.  I wanted to find the recipe as I thought this seemed perfect for an upcoming Cinco De Mayo themed birthday party, and not to mention it just seemed like a fun twist on deviled eggs for summer picnics. So I quickly "Googled" recipes for Avocado Deviled Eggs and found quite a few, so after looking through several recipes, I put together my own version (mind you always keeping in mind my regular deviled egg recipe).
 
Ingredients:
 
9 eggs, hard-boiled and peeled
1 ripe avocado, diced
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. yellow mustard
3 Tbsp. mayonnaise (*I prefer Olive Oil mayo)
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro (*if you are not a cilantro fan, substitute parsley)
1/4 tsp. salt
4-6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled into bits
 
Directions:
Slice hard boiled eggs in half, carefully separating the yolks into a bowl and setting the whites on a egg plate.  Mash the yolks with a fork.  In a separate bowl, mash together the avocado and lemon juice, this helps prevent the avocado from browning.  Then add, the mashed yolks, and add remaining ingredients, except the bacon crumbles, mixing them together well.  Then you are ready to fill the yolks, either with the old spoon method, or with a piping bag. Then top the eggs with the bacon crumbles and serve.
 
Special Notes to keep in mind with this recipe:
Unlike traditional deviled eggs, these lil devils should not be made too far in advance as the flavors of the ingredients change drastically over time (even overnight).  So I would only make these right before a picnic.  Now with that said, you could always cook the eggs ahead of time and then mix everything just before hand. I made a notation that you could substitute the cilantro with parsley. I made this notation because there are some people that find cilantro to have a "soapy" flavor, parsley has a more neutral flavor, so if you are not a fan of cilantro, go for parsley! Now why are you boiling 9 eggs, I prefer always when making deviled eggs to make a few extras, because if you are like me, I like to fast before a picnic or large meal gathering.  However, it never fails I always start to feel ravenous an hour before the event, so these are a great snack to help hold you over. Plus I am a firm believer in taste tasting the food you make before you serve it!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment