Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Firefly Music Festival Returns to My Home State

Okay yesterday I shared  my love of music and my thoughts on this resurgence of blues rock. Today I get to share that I am so stoked about this year's lineup!!!  I really was not sure how Red Frog Events was going to pull together a lineup that would top its inaugural year, but I am impressed with this year's lineup.

I mean could my high school friend have been more right about wanting to get fueled up on Alabama Shakes? But I will admit the first band that I saw in the video announcing the lineup that got me on edge, was The Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I wanted them to be part of last year's lineup so desperately, and am so glad they are going to be there this year.  I also have to say, for the record, I was right in my research with the clue that Firefly gave on LP, everyone was figuring out the morse code for the "Beep beep beep Beep..." clue and thought it was referencing Eddie Vedder's Into the Wild (because the morse code revealed that was the ISBN for the book Into the Wild, which was turned into a movie, which Vedder did the soundtrack for).  With some research, because I love me some Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam, so I did not want to get completely hopeful, and that is when I discovered LP  has covered a song with the same title as Into the Wild. I will state here and now, that I would still be overjoyed if Eddie Vedder or Pearl Jam was added to the lineup. However, I am also completely content with the lineup that is listed. I mean come on, "Give it away, give it away now..." - Red Hot Chili Peppers and the legendary Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.  And finally I will say what is so wonderful about this festival is that its not just all headliners, but all new and upcoming musicians, and it gives us a chance to catch them on the wave of their success to the top.


So excited to watch Flea, the bassist for the Red Hot Chili Peppers get his fingers jumping up and down the neck of his guitar.  And like someone recently posted on FB, you know you are a true fan when you know the bass players' name.  Flea is a legend, working with so many great artists.  I am still trying to take the lineup completely in, what is amazing about Firefly too, is that you go there to see bands you love, and you quickly find yourself falling in love with new ones.

As I shared yesterday, watching Jack White play in his bare feet was something so memorable.  It brings the whole night back, how it started misting rain, and the wind kicked up just a little.  White had slipped in his boots and decided it was time to let them go, these are the things that are unique to each show. And when I look back on it, there we were in the Woodlands of my home state rocking out and as soon as he let go of the shoes, the rain eased up and Firefly Nation came together, singing along in unison, rocking to the beat.

 
This photo is the aerial view of the grounds of Firefly...typically as a Delawarean I see this site get filled with campers, RVs and tents filled up twice a year with Nascar fans.  Growing up I always thought Dover Downs International Speedway should be the site of major concerts. I really love that Red Frog found it and moved it into the Woodlands of Dover Downs, it makes for such a laid back setting.  Especially with a glass of wine or some Dogfish head Firefly Ale brewed special for the festival. So come on join the fun, get your tickets, they go on sale February 21st!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment