Thursday, February 28, 2013

"He just couldn't say no to her"

In a recent post I asked, when did you first fall in love with comic books? Well what spawned that post was a visit to my friend, Patrick Titus' The Comic Book Shop. While visiting  and taking in the G.I Joe Launch party, besides reminiscing about the good old days, we got to talking about the comics we like, and how it had been awhile since I had bought one.  That is when Titus pointed me to Saga, Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples. And now I am completely hooked,

Saga, Vol. 1 is simply brilliant.  As an avid reader I am always looking for a story that has it all, that pushes all the limits and this storyline does just that, and does it successfully.  I will state this up front, this is an adult graphic novel, I would not recommend this to just anyone.  Vaughan takes you on a trippy space odyssey of star-crossed lovers, caught in the midst of a war, and yes, with the Shakespeare innuendo there is the upper class royal characters as well, but what Vaughan does with them is pretty far out and wild, he gives them television/monitors for heads, which just adds to the ongoing humor throughout the story. If you like magic, fantasy, sexual exploration, and bounty hunters, yeah, it has all that, and you will love it, or at least admire Vaughan's creativity.

What hooked me in from the beginning was the opening scene, the star-crossed lovers, Alana and Marko are in the midst of the birth of their child, when Alana says, "Seriously, you'll never have sex with me again if I defecate all over you". LOL! Yes, I know my humor may be just as twisted as Vaughan's, but I think I know plenty women out there who have given birth, and know that thought and sometimes fear of pooping on the table during childbirth.  I know one woman who shared with me during my pregnancy that she was so worried about pooping on the table, that she kept downing castor oil, so this is not as far fetched as some of you might think.  But that is what caught me, I love Vaughan's raw and edgy writing, it reminds me of some of my own writing.  Some critics have said Vaughan is batshit crazy, well personally I think he writes in a very real and honest way, that most people are just not accustomed to hearing, because we follow what society deems is appropriate.  Another passage for all you mothers, "You know what my idea of horror is? Nine months of forced sobriety. If I could survive that..."-Alana.

So needless to say, I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series and can't wait to get my hands on Volume 2.  And if you need more to draw you to at least take a peek at this graphic novel, then this might do the trick...another critics review of this work, stated this story is Game of Thrones meets Star Wars. Thanks again, Titus for turning me onto this one!

Brilliant. A story that has it all, sci-fiction, fantasy, drama, and even a little Shakespeare...if you like stories about star-crossed lovers you will love this, well keeping in mind you also don't mind adult graphics and storyline as well. I can't wait to get my hands on the next volume and see where this story continues to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment