Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Obnoxxxious is Sexy

Okay so I am super excited for Saturday Night Live this weekend, why because Melissa McCarthy is hosting, of course!  Recently I read an article in which a critic was reviewing  McCarthy's recent film Identity Thief and said " [She] is a gimmick comedian who has devoted her short career to being obese and obnoxious" (Rex Reed, The New York Observer). And I cannot help, but allow this to be an opportunity to discuss the issues of weight, society and what it means to be a successful comedian. 

And I am going to be honest with you here, for those of you who have known me most of my life know this, but for those of you who don't may not.  I am not skinny, or even a thin woman, nor have I ever been.  I could blame my height, my genetic disposition, or even that fact that I have been raised mostly on a Western diet chocked full of sugar, corn syrup and carbohydrates.  However, I believe that yes, some of these issues may be contributors to my weight and body type, but I do not feel they are the sole reasons.  I do not believe in using such issues as excuses, nor do I feel placing all my attention  and emphasize on those issues is a healthy way to live.  I believe that one first must accept self. By that I mean, being happy with yourself, knowing who you are, what you want, what drives you and motivates you...for some of us, that may be learning to laugh at ourselves, as most comedians will tell you.  My prime example, is Tina Fey, in her memoir Bossypants (which if you haven't read it, do it, its' full of stories that will make you laugh, and make you take a stroll down memory lane). I also feel our weight does not state who we are, we do. Critic Rex Reed, states that McCarthy is a gimmick comedian, if that were true, then all comedians are "gimmick" comedians. What's the gimmick? learning to laugh at yourself, while making others laugh with you. I know that Reed meant that McCarthy is using her weight as part of her gimmick, however I disagree.  I think she has accepted her weight, but I do not feel she uses it to market or brand herself.

What I am getting at is, and to respond to critic Reed, yes, some of us are "obnoxious".  I love being obnoxious...now I know this isn't an attribute shared by all. But let's just look at the word, and fix the spelling o-b-n-o-x-x-x-i-o-u-s.  Now that's how I like to look at the word, by adding the x's it makes you realize that obnoxious is something to take ownership of, because its not only annoyingly outrageous, its outrageously sexy.  Hmm. Mmm. That's right, sexy!  You see, when you aren't as drop dead gorgeous or super model material, like let's say as Halle Barry, Gisele Bundchen or Gwen Stefani (personally I just think she has some of the best legs ever!); you have to really know yourself and your talents, because we can't just pull a Sharon Stone move with our legs and make things happen.  And one of the best ways to go about this is learning to laugh at yourself, with yourself and with others about the not so "perfect" life.  Now, this may mean, while we are laughing at ourselves we come across as obnoxious, but for those of you who can relate, you know that this laughter is joyous and sexy.  I mean just ask any woman what she is looking for when seeking a man or husband, I guarantee most woman will say they want someone with a sense of humor, and vice verse of the opposite sex. And who does not find a sense of humor sexy?

I think Reed confuses what he sees as obnoxious, which obviously is weight with being a funny comedian.  McCarthy is successful, because she knows something about timing and delivering a line, not everyone can do this..and if you are wondering what I mean, watch SNL when someone who does not have a comedic background tries to be funny and just can't deliver.  I mean, when McCarthy played Linda in the Garlic Ranch Blast skit on her last guest hosting of SNL and says, "There's a Hidden Valley Ranch party in my mouth", I laughed my arse off, to the point I had tears in my eyes.  So please, Melissa McCarthy continue to bring us your obnoxxxiousness!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment