Sunday, September 13, 2009

Cheiros pteros: There ain't no thing like a bat wing!

Okay so I must be seriously "bat shit" as in I am that crazy woman living in an apartment who has lost her shit. I would not say that I fall into the usual reference to this slang terminology, because unlike most woman given this term, I am not living in a ghetto so to speak or drinking milk from a bowl outside my door (like the girl in the movie PootieTang), but I am sharing my living space with my winged friends, Cheiros pteros also known as bats. So technically I am bat shit!

My husband and I like to jokingly refer to our new digs as the Bat Cave, like we are suddenly as cool as the superhero Batman, but one cannot be as cool as Batman, when one wakes up to find dead bats and bat wings lying on the balcony outside one's bedroom. So this morning when I was noticing that I can't enjoy the beautiful balcony because it is the resting place of my hand-winged friends I discovered something quite bizarre and unsettling. Dead baby bats and bat wings look like crispy fried chicken wings prior to adding the main ingredient buffalo sauce and hence, I decided to proclaim that "There ain't no thing like a bat wing!" (I know this is just a rewording of WingsToGo's slogan back east, but it makes waking up to that site in the morning much more bearable).

I must say that it is pretty fascinating sharing a space with my Cheiros Pteros friends. They make the strangest sounds all day, although they are said to be nocturnal. At night, they just become more lively and make little squeaking sounds like they are singing to us, but I think it must just be a mating call. Our hand-winged friends are of some help though, they do take care of other pesky creatures. So they aren't all that bad to live with...and as a True Blood fan it makes our anticipation for our favorite show ever week, more exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment