Thursday, June 13, 2013

Oh Bloody Hell! It's Shark Week...seriously!?!

So many of you can imagine the jokes that get told in my house and amongst my family, with my husband working as a tampon machine mechanic. Tampons can be referred to as many things: feminine care products, Class #2 Medical devices, plugs, rolls, sticks, one of the most recent ones I have heard is manhole covers.  Regardless of what you call them or their cousin, the pad (napkins, rags, and cotton bricks), when a girl blossoms into womanhood, she quickly learns that she better be well-stocked in either because when Aunt Flo comes to town, she can shed havoc on your favorite panties.

Every girl out there has been through it, ruined a pair during that time of the month.  And unfortunately, because society has taught us to be shameful when it comes to our periods, we often will either throw away that pair or hide the stained pair in the back of our panty drawer until Aunt Flo's next visit. 

In high school, many girls even found my response to Aunt Flo's visit to be too crass.  Sorry sisters, but when Aunt Flo came, I did not appreciate the cramps, and so excuse me for being openly obnoxious and saying, "I wanted to spoon out my ovaries".  I am just thankful that I was encouraged by my mother to express my feelings on the subject instead of hide them, and put on the fake show that all was okay.  I am also thankful for the friends that appreciated my ridiculous sense of humor, because truthfully none of us "enjoy" our period.

However, I recently discovered something that embraces my crass sense of humor and adds a little bling to Aunt Flo's visit.  This past Christmas, while looking for a present for someone on Etsy, I came across Ginger Gregory's shop "Cool Aunt Flo".  (I must admit, I feel like Stefon right now, from SNL, "if you are looking for..., then look no further").  Seriously though, for just a minute, if you are tired of throwing away panties or staining them, check this shop out and order a pair of period panties.  Yes, you read correctly, period panties you can be proud to wear.  Ginger Gregory has wittingly created a novel product, period panties with hilarious "flogans" to cheer you up when you're feeling weepy, bloated and crampy. So put an end to ruining your panties and hiding them in the back of your drawer.  Read my Q & A with the creator of Cool Aunt Flo, Ginger Gregory and go on Etsy and order your pair today!

Q- I have to ask, is Ginger Gregory your real name? And if so, do you have red hair? Where did you grow up? and where are you living now?

Ginger- Yes, Ginger Gregory is my real name. Ginger Sue, with a name like that you know I'm from North Carolina. I grew up in Fayetteville, and now live in Fuquay Varina, NC. I have had red hair for a few years now, with the help of Clairol or Loreal (usually medium auburn, sometimes light depending on the season)

Q-In your profile on Etsy, you say that you wanted to provide women with comic relief and underwear you can't mess up...where did the idea for period panties come from? I mean I know as women we have all ruined our favorite pair of panties, or we have found ourselves stashing the ruined pair in the bottom of our drawer only to be resurrected at the always untimely visit of our dear friend, Aunt Flo, but what made you decide to make period panties with witty "Flogans"?

Ginger- Messed up one too many pairs of underwear and I have a wicked sense of humor.

Q-Do  you have plans to expand the line?

Ginger-I do have plans to expand. I would like to add more "flogans". I mainly wanted to do red and black panties, but couldn't find any wholesale I could afford. I mean, the whole point was not to show the stains. I had to redefine the point: to be fun first.  I would like to expand to tampon holders, heating pads, my own brand of pain medication and maybe a Ben & Jerry's flavor ice cream.

Q-When did you decide to make your vision a reality and create a shop on Etsy?

Ginger-A friend told me about Etsy. It was the perfect way to get Cool Aunt Flo going. I could do it piece meal and not get overwhelmed with expense. I kept thinking this is such a good idea and someone else is going to do it if I don't and I will kick myself later so I went for it. I got a business credit card and said what the heck. It's only money.

Q-On Cool Aunt Flo's Facebook page you are always posting interesting facts, myths and beliefs about menstruation, what has been your most shocking?

Ginger-Period "Art" that I've seen on Tumbler.  I decided not to post those. Oh, and the menstrual blood fetish. More disturbing is the way men/religion have used menstruation to keep women subservient and made to feel dirty throughout history.

"Native Americans separated women during their periods, not for seclusion/shame, but out of respect. Quiet, calm, restful places because women have the power of life.

I always liked Tonto..."


"Are You There God? It's Me Margaret" was a must read for girls in the 80's. Blume was the first author to incorporate the issue of first menstruation into a fictional storyline.

Like if you remember reading this adventure into puberty.


Q-Are you selling any of Cool Aunt Flo's period panties in stores, besides Etsy?

Ginger-I wish. I'm having trouble figuring out how to sell them in stores and keep the packaging. I think the packaging is half the fun!







 Q-How far do you envision Cool Aunt Flo's period panties going?

Ginger-I would love to see them on Ellen DeGeneres (not literally on Ellen...well, maybe). There's not enough inventory for a big marketing explosion right now. I'm working with a very supportive investor. He suggests starting with extensive marketing plans leading to multiple distribution channels. I would love to do this full time, be the CEO of my own company and Queen of Period Panties!

Q-Can you share a memorable story about when you first started your period or a period "accident"?

Ginger-Oh boy. I have a disgusting story involving sex in the dark, unaware that I started my period.  The next morning was interesting.

My sister had an period "accident"  going through the buffet line, not realizing she had blood running down the back of my skirt.

I am always happy to accidentally bleed on my Cool Aunt Flo panties. Makes them official period panties!

Q-How long is the $10 sale on Etsy?

Ginger-They are on sale until I sell some damn underwear!

Q-Has anyone been offended by the period panties?

Ginger-Cool Aunt Flo's Vampire's Dream made it on Regretsy. It's a website that makes fun of items sold on Etsy. (No such thing as bad publicity). Some people take themselves too seriously.  God knows I've offended people in every other aspect of my life, why not on my panties too?

Q-Who is your favorite comedian?

Ginger-Paula Poundstone, David Sedaris, and Kathleen Madigan

Q-Did actual Shark Week (@Discovery) give you inspiration to create the Shark Week panties? and did True Blood inspire Vampire Dream? Do you have any plans for Game of Thrones inspired panties?

Ginger-Shark Week is just kind of obvious not to use and "Chumming" seemed a little too much (like Watch for Falling Clots, isn't!)  We came up with the vampire panty before True Blood. This idea has been years in the making, but I've been an Anne Rice fan for a long time. I hadn't thought of Game of Thrones.  Are there any bloody good reasons why I should do a pair?

So if I haven't convinced you to order yourself a pair already, maybe if I share all the "flogans" you will go on and order yours today. 

Crampin' and Flowin', NOT pregnant, Strings Attached, Flood Zone, Hot Sauce, Vampire's Dream, Shark Week, It's Blow Job Week, Tampooned, Watch for Falling Clots, Aunt Flow's in Town, Clean Up Center Aisle.

As I said before, I think these period panties are wittingly creative and a great way to add a little comic relief to a not so comfortable time!  I jokingly tell my husband all the time, that the marketing designers for packaging the tampons need to stop trying to package 'em in floral designs and just keep it simple: Here's your friend to help with Aunt Flo! or Stop Aunt Flo!











5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had bought the panties as a Christmas present for my 17yr old daughter who absolutely loves them. She likes the way they feel and the comfort they do provide while she is "cramping and flowing". She also loved how the panties were packaged "Very Cool" is what she said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this article! Ginger is the bomb and so are her panties!!!! :p

      Delete


  3. Sophia ClementsJune 14, 2013 at 7:50 AM

    I have every different saying and many different colors all boy shorts. I am not a thin woman, I am full figured with a very large rear end and thick thighs. The boy short panties are the MOST comfortable panties I have. I wear them ALL the time not just for that time of the month. With my thickness it has been hard for me to find such comfort with all different styles of panties. I can't emphazie how awesome these panties feel! Not to mention my boyfriend loves them. Thank you Ginger for your wonderful and creative mind! You have made my body happy and comfortable!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny and what an awesome idea!

    Laverne

    ReplyDelete