Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Secrets of a Wise Momma

So every momma (and poppa) out there knows what it is like to have one of "those" days, where your child gets so fixated on wanting or doing something that you are ready to lose your mind.  I was having one of those days this past weekend, when my son decided he wanted to be outside.  And since he can now reach the deadbolt lock and knows how to operate it we are challenged throughout the day, with trying to keep him inside. He is too young to understand that going outside on his own, is just not safe.  However, he has adapted the official "shoe police" badge.  This is in part because one of our methods to prevent him from , slow him down in his attempts to go outside, was to remind him he must have his shoes on. Beware: he will say to you if he catches you without them, "Shoes, go?", with his hands up in the air.

This past weekend he was challenging not only me, but also his dad.  He had already attempted to make a mad dash outside at least seven times.  I know that my husband, Kyle had to bring him back in 3x in less than 10 minutes.  So, when Kyle had something he needed to work on, and I was left alone to manage the escape artist, I was beginning to wonder if I was going lose this battle, when I recalled something completely ingenious.

You see, just prior to Christmas, my dear friend, Emma (who lives in Australia) and I were talking about children being on Christmas overload.  Basically, what we were discussing was the fact that children can only handle so much, but both of us were concerned with all the presents our kids would be receiving, not just from us, but from extended family and friends.  As a mom, I have always tried to encourage anyone when they ask me about presents for my son, that they keep them very minimal.  Especially because of his age, he really does not fully comprehend holidays and gift giving times.  I try to emphasize that whatever you start from day one, remember that as the child grows, they are going to expect this to continue.  Hence, keeping things minimal, and why we encourage clothes and educational items: games, coloring books and puzzles, and less focus on toys.  However, even keeping things minimal it is still hard not to cause overload.  Kyle and I noticed this with our son, on Christmas morning.  We had given him a few presents, one big present and a few small ones.  We both realized that as he got to about the seventh package (mind you these were puzzles, books and a few toy cars), he began to get cranky.  And not the full on cranky, the irritable, I am overstimulated cranky.  And it was then, that I decided I was going to heed my friend, Emma's advice.  Mind you, Emma is a momma of four beautiful children.  Her advice through our discussion about Christmas overload, was to carefully stash away a few of the presents that he receives on Christmas and save them for a rainy day a few months down the road. 

So I did.  A few months after Christmas, I went through my son's things and decided to put a few of the presents I had stashed away out in exchange for some that he had outgrown.  I figured this would help him through those rougher months of winter, when he couldn't always go outside to play. I still had kept some away, because I knew the summer months were going to be more challenging.  And boy, am I glad I did!  So this past weekend, when I was wrangling in my son, a light bulb went off in my head, and I said to him, "Come upstairs with mommy, I have some presents for you."  I quickly pulled out this awesome Lego set and Curious George lunchbox that his Aunt Rachel and family had given him at Christmas.  And his mind, was diverted from wanting to go outside, to intently playing with the fire truck and dog.  And I made sure to remind him, that this was a special gift from Aunt Rachel (and family).

Some of you may be wondering how I decided what toys to store away.  It was simple really, I just looked at what had actually been opened (meaning opened beyond wrapping paper and actually touched).  I made a box and just piled a bunch of presents in it that had not been "opened".  The Lego set was one I debated about, because I knew he would love it, but thought, he will appreciate it just as much even if he gets to play with it a few months from now.  I was so thankful for listening to my friend's advice, it truly was a saving grace this past weekend!



1 comment:

  1. Great stuff!! I too pulled one of Beau's birthday gifts down from the top of the book case again yesterday (a multi sensory dinosaur enclosure a friend of mine made him for his birthday) he had quite forgotten it for a few months and he played with it for hours. Hard these days when love and life appears to be measured by so many by the abundance of "things" eh? Laverne

    ReplyDelete